An Internet hoax has spread suggesting that the student-led demonstration March for Our Lives was planned months in advance to the actual event.
“Application for ‘March for Our Lives’ permit was made months before Parkland school shooting,” read the headline
on Fellowship of the Minds, a website that pushes conspiracy theories and religious ideas.
The mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School happened on Feb. 14. Since then, student survivors have made multiple media appearances and organized events promoting increased gun control. The national demonstration March For Our Lives occurred on March 24 in Washington.
|The Mayor’s Special Events Task Force requires a Letter of Intent at least 6 months in advance.
An application for a permit organized by Los Angeles-based television producer and co-executive director of the Women’s March Los Angeles Foundation, Deena Katz, was submitted on Feb. 20
The article cites a correspondence with D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Scott C. Earhardt as to why the march may have been planned in advance. After an apparent source of Light on Conspiracies
author Ole Dammegard
contacted the police department regarding the permit, they received a response
from Earhardt with the following message:
“In reference to your inquiry concerning the March for Our Lives Demonstration, here in the District of Columbia on March 24, 2018. MPD received a permit application several months prior to the actual event, and there was several months of planning for this large event.”
However, when we contacted Officer Scott C. Earhardt, he said that he had mistakenly mixed up the annual D.C.-based March for Life rally that happened in January with the more recent March for Our Lives demonstration in the email.
|How could there be any confusion when he cites the name of the march and its date?
Earhardt told PolitiFact that the story is not factual and that the permit for March for Our Lives was issued on March 13.
The misunderstanding between the two parties is likely to have increased confusion about the actual dates of when the permit was issued.
The screenshot of the email pictured in the article was credited to James Fetzer
, a philosophy of science professor at the University of Minnesota Duluth who has promoted various conspiracy theories, including denying the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, the Boston Marathon bombing and the Holocaust.
March for Our Lives was organized
by the Parkland student survivors who began the Never Again movement to promote gun control. They partnered with the nonprofit organization Everytown for Gun Safety, founded by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
A website pushing conspiracy theories claimed that the March For Our Lives permit was actually prepared months in advance.
We contacted the police officer referred to in the story who confirmed that the story is inaccurate and the permit was actually issued 11 days prior to the march.
We rate this story Pants on Fire.
One thought on “FACT CHECKERS GET IT WRONG: “March for Our Lives” permit WAS issued months in advance”
Politifact failed to do their homework on the 180 day advance notice policy when street closure is required. They somehow left out that screen-shot in order confuse their shrinking audience with fake news.